Friday, March 12, 2004

 
only three more days until the next episode...

Wednesday night was okay, I guess. I wasn't totally satisfied with it. But next Wednesday will be better. I didn't totally want to be there on Wednesday because I'd been busy all day and I was somewhat tired and just wanted to play some of that Grand Theft Auto 3 for a while and then go to bed.

I think what really distressed me was that the first hour wasn't poppy enough. The first 30 minutes rocked too hard (Bikini Kill, Frumpies, classic Sonic Youth, and New Grenada). And then the next 30 minutes... I don't know. It started out on a high note with the Blow ("Love will fuck you up!"), but then I played those two Dub Narcotic Sound System songs laden with the word "fuck" ("Fuck Me Up" and "Fuck Shit Up"). Oh, and I actually faded out "Fuck Me Up" early... I hadn't really listened to it before, and I noticed that maybe it was getting into the realm of obscenity. I hope no Christian conservatives were listening at that point. People have actually been making complaints to the university about our safe harbor programming (that's the time between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. when we can air "indecent" material), so I hope that none of the assholes pulling that shit were listening at that point. Anyway, after that I played MC Honky ("3 Turntables and 2 Microphones"), a Lil Pocket Knife song ("A.D.D."), and some weird British woman singing about some sort of British food I've never heard of.

And around that point, some guy called to say that I was playing "weird" stuff, and that I should play Zappa. At that point, I got really freaked out. I didn't want to go there at all, and I certainly wouldn't want to give someone the impression that I would be the type of person to play weird stuff and go there. So, I decided to just play strict indie pop, but then I was having trouble thinking of things to play, and that pretty much lasted until the end of the show. One bit of trouble that I have is that I sometimes forget about all the bands I like while I'm doing a show. It's no problem for new releases because we have a section with all the new stuff together, but once it's old and in the regular library, well... You know how you get whenever you go into a record store to look for things and you forget what all you want to look for if you don't write it down. I guess it's like that.

And then whatever I do remember, I'm afraid to play it because I don't want to overplay it.

I'm weird.

But not into weird music.

I actually did go on the air after that guy called to say that some guy called to say that I was playing weird stuff and I didn't want to give the impression that I was into weird stuff and willing to play prog rock, so I was just going to go strictly pop.

Whatever.

Just tune in next week because I got my Bill Hicks CDs back, plus copies of ones I didn't have.

And, Cassettefest? Well, this bit of egotistical propaganda from the Black Cabbage e-mailing list says it all:

Black Cabbage, producers of SALT FLAP through their patented Duo-Bass Method, completely swept the competition out the door in today's episode of WCSB 89.3 FM's CassetteFest with overwhelmingly top ratings from both the on-air judges and station listeners alike!

Coming in at the end of an episode full of boring takes on goth
techno, fratboys doing acoustic covers of Misfits songs, and a very professional-sounding take on twee indie pop, the competition was indeed fierce, but it was clear from the start of Black Cabbage's 10-minute entry that all others coming before it could instantly be forgotten.

Garnering a unanimous perfect score of "10"s between the two
CassetteFest judges, "_" and Jasmine, and another unanimous nearly-perfect score of "9"s amongst the the on-air listener call-ins, Black Cabbage's entry was clearly the favored entry in the day's randomly-selected group of offerings.


Eh... I thought Junkyard Todd (the "very professional-sounding take on twee indie pop") was good, though. But it's not really twee. I don't know. I thought that twee was cuter than that. That doesn't matter, though. I didn't instantly forget about that entry after hearing Black Cabbage. It was good, but it was a little disappointing because he didn't make a skit out of his entry like he did for the last Cassettefest.

But yes, everything else in that episode was boring and sucky.

I'm starting to wonder if I should have given Black Cabbage that 10. It sounds like it went straight to their heads. ^_^

I'm kidding, please don't think that I hate you.

Oh... something interesting is that people have actually been saying that last week's Cassettefest was better than this week. They're like, "Sure, the Southern Rock sucked, but it was interesting and made a lot of people call in."

Well, that's a response that I didn't expect.

Moving on...

The Sekiden/Kiddo show is on March 30th. Christian said that he's sending me a new Kiddo song to promote the show with. Yay! I can't wait for that to get here.

The Twilight is playing again on Tuesday at the Beachland. Just a reminder. I'm going. They're going to be so good!

Okay, two more things...

I realized that Boogiepop Does Not Smile's theme has feedback in it, too. That's the semi-collage with the monologues about population control and "Once you leave the womb, you'll never be at peace again for as long as you live". I stuck those together with feedback courtesy of the Sonic Youth Silver Session.

Finally... a response to a couple of comments.

Jes: We were all surprised to hear the Smashing Pumpkins. Including me.

As for GTA 3... I have a Playstation 2 now, and I'm not squeamish about that sort of video game ultra-violence. I think that game is an incredible techincal achievement because it allows you to go through a whole city and do unspeakable acts to people. I don't know, I just find it fun doing that sort of evil stuff that I'd never do in real life.

alantois and TOC: It's easy to keep up with the new music when you're affiliated with a radio station and the labels just send the new music there. That's not the only way that I find out about new music, but I think that's where I find out about most of it from. Just looking through the new CDs at the station.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?