Tuesday, June 15, 2004

 
post-show post (one day late)

I would have done this sooner, but I had some important stuff to do after the show yesterday.

Anyway, first of all, I forgot to make an important announcement on my show yesterday. The Twilight is releasing its first real album (EP, actually) on Saturday (this Saturday, the 19th) at a show at the West Side Market. It's a part of this Van Gogh Round Day there (Van Gogh Round being the label that's releasing this EP). Three other bands (including the Dreadful Yawns) will be playing there, as well. The whole thing is going to be from 10 until 4, and the Twilight's set is scheduled for 11:30 to 12:45. That's all during the day, and not at night, by the way.

Edit: If you read the comments link to this post, you'll find that members of the Twilight said that the EP will not be released on Saturday as originally planned. They say that instead, the CD should be ready sometime within the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned for updates on that.

My apologies to the Twilight for not mentioning that during the show. I forgot about it because I was being self-centered, since WCSB is having its own little festival on Saturday. That would be the Cassettefest Fest at Pat's in the Flats. I don't know if I'll be able to go to the Twilight show because of that. I just hope I'll be able to get that EP soon.

Oh, and in case you need to know the order of bands at Cassettefest Fest, here they are from first to last: Dolly's Crotch, Neonatal Death, Thursday Club, Love Spank, Dead Peasant Insurance, Black Cabbage, the Pinheads, Harvey + Felix, and the Electric Grandmother. Those last four bands are the ones that I'm really excited about seeing. All the bands are playing for 35 minutes because it seems that Pat really does want it to end at 10. I really do recommend that you see the last four bands at least. The Electric Grandmother and the Pinheads will be interesting because they're both in this small musical clique called "sitcom-core". Basically, that means that a bunch of their songs are about sitcoms. The two bands do different styles of music, though. The Pinheads are humorous, lo-fi punk, and the Electric Grandmother is a one-man drum machine pop band. Oh, and now that I think of it, read this because that page has background about sitcom-core. As for Harvey + Felix, I thought they just did funny covers, but as you heard on the last show, they had a really good original song. I have no idea what their live shows are like, or if they've even played a live show before, so I'm really excited about seeing them. As for Black Cabbage, you know they're the most relevant of all the neo-no wave bands out there.

Did any of you listen to Chris and Thea before my show this week? Apparently, Chris has been on a Neutral Milk Hotel kick lately, and he asked what's been going on with Neutral Milk Hotel because they haven't made a studio album since 1997's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Of course, I knew, and I told him about what was in this Pitchfork interview, as well as the fact that Jeff Mangum had a radio show on WFMU for a while.

Speaking of Neutral Milk Hotel, if you didn't read the comments section for the latest episode, I guess I should tell you that another Neutral Milk Hotel demo has made it onto that one MP3 site. It's labeled as "The 'other' unknown demo" on that site.

I found an interesting site recently. It's http://www.songmeanings.net. On this site, people post the lyrics to songs and then write comments about what they think the song means. It's interesting because they do have indie bands on there in addition to corporate shit. They do have Neutral Milk Hotel and Sonic Youth on there, which is cool. So, that'll provide you with some amusement for a while.

And while I'm at it, I've got another interesting site, especially if you're a Harry and the Potters fan. And it's the bad sort of interesting, too. It's a site dedicated to counting down the days, hours, minutes, and seconds until Emma Watson's 18th birthday. Emma Watson, for those who don't know, plays Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter movies. That's just some crazy shit.

By the way, I do have a little update for you on the Harry and the Potters show in Cleveland. It's definitely going to happen, but now the question is when. Mac's in Coventry hasn't replied to them yet, but they have talked to Teresa at Doubting Thomas. If the show is going to be at Doubting Thomas, then they can't do it on July 5th or 6th like they wanted to before. If it's there, then it'll be at the end of July, around the 29th, while they're coming back from shows on the west coast (as opposed to playing on their way to the west coast).

I think that's all that I have to say for now. I hope to see you at Cassettefest Fest on Saturday at Pat's in the Flats. It's only $5, so you'll probably be able to afford band merch, too. Now, you can go read my latest review, which is for the L.A. Tool and Die CD.

By the way, I am unhappy that the decision to excise "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance was struck down. Maybe I'll say some things about that later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?