Monday, June 07, 2004

 
we begin bombing in 5 minutes

We live in a country that loves to kill.
And our government expects to foot the bill.
Foot the bill (one time!)
Foot the bill (two times!)
Don't pay your taxes, try to rebel.
Guess where you'll be.
Living in jail.
Living in jail (one time!)
Living in jail (two times!)
Don't pay their taxes.
Don't join their army.
Our president is a redneck.
But Ronald was a cowboy.
Ronald was a cowboy (one time!)
Ronald was a cowboy (two times!)
(That's it!)


-from "Ronald Was a Cowboy" by Devon

That was the punk rock song with which I began the show today. It was written circa 1997, but I think it's even more appropriate in these times. Now, I'm not sure if I'd count Dubya as a redneck like people said Clinton was, but just look at the way he talks. "Bring it on!" Yeah, that's the redneck spirit! Them's fighting words!

I don't know if Devon was being cynical or reverent by saying that Ronald was a cowboy, but I thought that would be a great song to open up with today. A nice little Reagan-related ditty appropriate for our times that probably no one else would play. It's just obscure. Devon was this punk rock band from some Philadelphia suburb. But I actually encountered their stuff somehow and listened to it in high school. I used to have a lot more respect and admiration for punk than I do now. Anyway...

Did you like hearing the clip of Ronald Reagan saying "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation today that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in 5 minutes."? I read about that on Saturday and I knew that I had to play that today. Would you like to have that clip, too. You can get it from the Maine College Republicans website, among other places.

I hope some of you thought my bullshitting about Tetris being more responsible than Ronald Reagan for bringing on the downfall of communism in the Soviet Union is funny. I don't know if it's true, but I still think Tetris should run for president in 2004. Actually, it probably can't because it's still a teenager. It's over 18, though. But it has to be 35.

Want to know more about the background behind Tetris. This is an interesting read.

I'm sorry if you all wanted a really crazy anti-Reagan show, but I'm not the person to do it. Get someone who was at least a teenager in the '80s for that. I'm just not old enough and haven't studied enough of Reagan's political career to know all the reasons why he sucked. And I'm sure I don't even know a tenth of the good anti-Reagan songs from the '80s. But I'm sure someone else could come up with a great show chronicling all the underground music with anti-Reagan lyrics. They could also play some Reagan Youth, too.

I'm still hoping for the contact info for Doubting Thomas. La la la.

Still no word on any upcoming Harry and the Potters show in Cleveland. If they don't come to Cleveland, I guess I'll see them in Pennsylvania. I think they're going to Pittsburgh.

I can't think of anything else to say right now.

Go ahead and read that review of the Freezepop CD that's on Mundane Sounds if you haven't read it already.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?