Thursday, August 05, 2004

 
cool chick #59 + the smittens

I'm going to be filling in for Cool Chick #59 this Friday morning from 6 to 9. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. Any requests?

Elizabeth often plays a full album between 6 and 7. I don't know what full album I might want to play.

The Smittens and Harvey and Felix ruled!

Harvey and Felix played first, and they covered the Smittens' song, "I Hate Vermont". Rather than being annoyed, the Smittens were very flattered.

They also played "Frobee" (the Mr. Big cover), and of course they played the patriotic hit of the year, "America Will Punch You".

The Smittens played all their hits, plus new songs and a couple of covers. The covers were "My Boyfriend's Back" (that classic girl group song) and "Cast a Shadow" (by Beat Happening). I told them afterwards that it was cliche to cover "Cast a Shadow" because Cub already did it. Yo La Tengo did it, too, actually. Actually, it was really cool when they played "Cast a Shadow". Did you see that new indie movie, Napoleon Dynamite? They did hand motions to the lyrics, which was reminiscent of the "Happy Hands Club" in that movie. It was cute. And "My Boyfriend's Back" just kicked ass.

They did a Hanukkah song, too. And this really good anti-war song that I would love to have a recording of.

I don't think I have anything else to say right now. Just listen on Friday from 6 to 9 a.m.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?