Tuesday, January 09, 2007

 
playlist for january 9, 2007

Amy Kasio "Not Yr Workshop" live on Tea and Strumpets
Scream Club "Don't Fuck With My Babies" Don't Bite Your Sister
Le Tigre "On The Verge" This Island
Mirah "Monument (Anna Oxygen remix)" joyride: remixes
The Pipettes "Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me" We Are the Pipettes
The Starlette Canvas "Sure Gonna Miss Him" Patty Duke Fanzine #6: Love to Patty
The Icicles "Seven Day Wonder" Patty Duke Fanzine #6: Love to Patty
Suburban Kids With Biblical Names "Trees and Squirrels" #3
Casper & The Cookies "The Optimist's Creedo" The Optimist's Club
Pony Up! "Make, Model, #" Make Love to the Judges With Your Eyes
Rose Melberg "Irene" Cast Away the Clouds
The Softies "Together Forever" Double Agent 1980: a tribute to the 1980's
Sonic Youth "She Is Not Alone" Sonic Youth
Kiddo "K-N-O-C-K-O-U-T" Okay Sweetheart
Sloan "Flying High Again" Never Hear the End of It
Sloan "Who Taught You to Live Like That" Never Hear the End of It
Of Montreal "She's a Rejecter" She's a Rejecter 7"
The Battle Royale "Oh Martha" Sparkle Dust Fantasy
Awesome Animal Ambulance "My Best Friend" Camping In the Clouds
Awesome Animal Ambulance "Give a Hoot" Camping In the Clouds
The Zambonis "Concept Bands 'R' Us/Harry Potter's Magic Hockey Stick" The Zambonis/Harry and the Potters split 7"
gwEm and Counter Reset "The Man-Machine (Die Mensch-Maschine)" 8-bit operators (The music of Kraftwerk performed on vintage 8-bit video game systems
Betty Marie Barnes "The Cruel War" Patty Duke #6: Love to Patty

Comments:
Yes. You are correct. The new Rose Melberg album was a bit of a snore.
 
I think PonyUp is better now. Less childish.
 
ya'll are crazy...rose melberg is rose melberg. She can pop my twee any day.

Sergio, who's the band in the background again?
 
Hi, how's it going? Just wanted to say that I'm a semi-long time listener, (since early 2004), and I was truly dissapointed when your show went off the air last year. I truly believe it was the best college radio show going. That said, I wasn't aware until yesterday that your show was back on. When did you come back on the air? Anyway, congratulations on your return to the airwaves and keep up the good work.

Also, I just want to go on a short Harry and the Potters rant. Firstly, as a big fan, I can't believe I wasn't aware that the split with the Zambonis is finally available. Do you happen to have a copy of their Yule Ball tour-exclusive cassette? Lastly, you played your most dissappointing album picks today. I have to say from the perspective of a HATP fan that their Power of Love release was my personal biggest dissapointment of 2006. I'd be interested to know how you felt about it, but I really don't think the studio gloss and pseudo screamo/emo influences suit them well. I pine for the days of their more twee leaning first album.

Ok, sorry for such a lenghty comment, but I had to get that out there. Good luck in the future.
 
anonymous: I didn't think Pony Up was that childish. The songs on their debut EP, other than "Matthew Modine" , are kind of serious in tone, and sort of reminiscent of the stuff on the album. It's just that they lost an important counterbalance when they stopped doing songs with a sense of humor like that.

Matt: I went back on the air near the end of July, but at first, I did Sergio Van Lukenstein's Unjustified Power Trip again. And then I killed off Sergio (I mean, I actually had him die on the show) and started doing Boogiepop again in October.

As for HATP, I thought that Power of Love was pretty good. I didn't think it was screamo/emo at all. In fact, there was quite a bit of genre hopping on there. Like the '80s hair metal sendup on "New Wizard Anthem", the pop-punk "The Slug Club" (which sounds so authentically pop-punk that it makes me feel dirty and wrong for listening to it sometimes), and the light electronic pop of "Felix Felicis".

I can see what you mean by the studio gloss, though, but I think they barely stopped short of overproducing the album. Really, I was pretty happy with the whole thing.

And listen to "Save Ginny Weasley From Dean Thomas" again. That song is twee as fuck!

AND THEY HAD A YULE BALL-TOUR EXCLUSIVE CASSETTE?! I WANT IT! AAAAAAHHHHH!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?