Tuesday, January 08, 2008

 
final episode

So, there you go. The end of the 2007 singles countdown. I hope you enjoyed my selection of songs and weren't disappointed by the lack of Animal Collective or LCD Soundsystem.

But yeah, you shouldn't have been surprised by the number one song. I was thinking about having it be what ended up being the number two song, but... that song just resonated with me too much, even though number two also had a lot of significance for me (and the rest of Cleveland) in 2007.

Besides the countdown, I also got to play my "guilty pleasure of the year". My guilty pleasure of the year is the band Say Anything. Say Anything is a very guilty pleasure for me because they're an emo band. A very pretentious emo band. But they're so over-the-top, it's awesome.

I didn't get to tell the whole story on the air about how I got into Say Anything, so I'll tell it to you now...

I was listening to a University of Toledo college radio show, and it played this really catchy almost-electroclash dance song about, well... the chorus of the song went, "I called her on the phone and she touched herself, she touched herself, she touched herself... I laughed myself to sleep." The song was called "Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too" and it was about the male singer having an inappropriate relationship over the phone with a minor! But it was so catchy!

The next day, I looked up Say Anything on Wikipedia and found out they were an emo band. "Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too" isn't necessarily representative of all their work. But then... I started listening to other songs on the album besides that song. The actual emo songs. And started enjoying them. Because when Say Anything gets emo, they get so pretentious and over-the-top about it, and my repressed inner emo boy squeals with delight when I hear them sing lines like, "There's a man assigned to me, and he checks on my stability. We discuss you every week, then I rinse and rinse, repeat. And he charges by the tear, 'til I weep no more strictly out of fear that I can't afford your love..." (That's from a song called "Total Revenge".)

And that's just stuff from an older album. They released a new album this year, a month or two after I started listening to them, and it's really pretentious, too. In fact, it's a two-disc set about his relationship with a girl and how he has to choose between this girl and his addictions to drugs and ruin. FUCK YEAH!

So, that's how I got into Say Anything...

(By the way, here's a YouTube link for "Wow, I Can Get Sexual, Too"... it's probably Not Safe For Work.)

Anyway, this does it for Boogiepop Does Not Smile. If I get another regular time slot again, I want to do a new show under a different name. Right now, I'm still trying to figure out how to do things differently (and better)...

Thanks for listening, everybody!

So... let me just give you the links to the MP3s:

1/8/08
Part 1 (of 2)
Part 2 (of 2)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?